to start search
The Compass Initiative - Welcome to Canada. We are Here to Help.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Do you have questions about Compass to Connect? Browse through the list below to see if your question has already been answered.

A) For the Settlement Program:

  1. Permanent Residents of Canada.
  2. Protected persons as defined in section 95 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).
  3. Individuals who have been selected, inside or outside Canada, to become permanent residents (pending verifications) and who have been informed, by a letter from the Department.
  4. Convention refugees and protected persons outside Canada who have been selected for resettlement in Canada by the Department.
  5. Live-in Caregivers
  6. All Ukrainian temporary residents and their dependents in Canada are deemed eligible persons until March 31, 2025.

Temporary foreign workers who hold or received approval of a work permit under section 112 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) are eligible for all settlement services with the exception of language training.

Note: "Individuals selected" described in A.3 above means individuals who have received a Positive Eligibility Decision on their Application for Permanent Residence.

B) For the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP), the following individuals and their accompanying dependents, as defined in the RAP Terms and Conditions:

  1. Government Assisted Refugees (GARs), including those sponsored under the Joint Assistance Sponsorship (JAS) Program.
  2. Privately Sponsored Refugees (PSR), including Blended Visa Office-Referred (BVOR) clients (primarily Port of Entry Services).
  3. Other groups admitted under a public policy established by the Minister and deemed eligible for RAP.
  4. Eligible resettled refugees arriving on temporary resident permit (e.g., urgent protection cases).
  5. One-Year Window (OYW) arrivals.
  6. Other groups admitted as members of any current or future humanitarian-protected person abroad class.

For further information regarding the Resettlement Assistance Program, please visit the Resettlement Assistance Program information page.

The Government of Canada has a number of resources regarding the different status categories.
Please visit the links below for more information provided by the Government of Canada:

For further information, please visit the Immigration and citizenship website.

  1. To access language training funded by the Department, an Eligible Client must first undergo a language assessment by a qualified assessor and be of legal school-leaving age within their applicable province or territory.
  2. Temporary workers, including those nominated under Provincial Nominee Programs, are not eligible for services under the Settlement Program except for those described in A.3 and A.5 above.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has created the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) measures to provide Ukrainians and their family members come to Canada as quickly as possible and to provide them with the ability to work and study while in Canada.

Clients with CUAET visas who do not arrive by March 31, 2024 will still be permitted to travel to Canada. However, they will be considered as regular Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) holders. These clients will not be eligible for fee-exempt work or study permits, transitional financial assistance or federally-funded hotel accommodations.

For more information about the program, please visit this link Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel measures.

Eligibility and documents required

Under section 3.7 of the Settlement Program Terms and Conditions, CUAET holders, Ukrainian nationals with temporary resident status in Canada, and their dependents, remain eligible to access IRCC-funded settlement services until March 31, 2025, regardless of their arrival date.

Documents required to demonstrate eligibility for Settlement Services in Canada:
All Ukrainian temporary residents and their dependents may access IRCC-funded Settlement Services in Canada. They may have come to Canada either through the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) or through the regular Temporary Resident Program as visitors, students or workers.

To demonstrate eligibility, they can either show:
1. A status document with text stating “CUAET – AVUCU” or “CUAET / AVUCU” directly on the visitor record, study permit, work permit or temporary resident permit status document.

*This will appear in either the “Conditions” or the “Remarks/Observations” section of the document. OR

    2. I) Proof they are a Ukrainian national OR the dependent* of a Ukrainian temporary resident, such as a:

  1. a. Ukrainian passport, or
  2. b. Document demonstrating that they are the dependent to a Ukrainian temporary resident

    *Dependent is defined as: a spouse or common-law partner; their dependent child; the dependent child of their spouse/common-law partner; a dependent child of their dependent child. The dependent can be of any nationality. AND

    II) A temporary resident status document*, such as a:

  1. a. Work Permit
  2. b. Study Permit
  3. c. Visitor Record, or
  4. d. Temporary Resident Permit

*The status document does not require a CUAET-AVUCU remark for this option.

If the individuals have none of the above identifiers required to determine eligibility for federal, provincial, territorial, settlement or other services, please submit a new, fee-exempt application to IRCC for the appropriate status document. Instructions and the required forms can be found at

Compass to Connect is a website that allows newcomers to connect with settlement services. If you are a newcomer, using this website can help you get your life started in Canada. The website is designed for newcomers to find various free services that assist with learning English, finding a job, and settling into a Canadian community. The website will also directly connect you with the organization of your choice, so after you send your request, they will be in contact with you to book your first appointment.

Compass to Connect will help connect you to settlement services in three simple steps:

  • Step 1: Select the service(s) that you are searching for

    We provide a list of services that help newcomers settle in Canada. These services include help with finding employment, language training, assistance with filling out forms, and many more.

  • Step 2: Select an organization that provides the service(s) you need

    We provide you with personalized search results based on your service needs, location and preferred language. Details on each organization are provided to you, including website, location, and services available. You can select the organization that you feel is most suitable.

  • Step 3: Send a request to the organization of your choice

    After you select the organization of your choice, your contact information will be sent to the organization, along with a list of services you’re requesting. The organization will contact you via e-mail or phone to give you more information about a service or to book an appointment.

Compass to Connect is a free service, open for all IRCC eligible clients to use. It is funded by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The following websites are other resources available to newcomers that may not be eligible for Compass to Connect:

A SPO is a Service Providing Organization. This term would refer to the organizations that will be offering you the services you are looking for.

Compass to Connect is built on a mobile responsive framework. This means you will be able to view the Compass to Connect website on any browser available on your mobile device.

You do not need to register to browse through the services available. However, you will need to register in order to see the available service providers and submit requests.

We have a broad list of services that you can select from during your search. Some of the listed services include: Employment, Information and Referrals, Housing, and various services for seniors and youth. For a full list of services and more information on each of the services, please visit our Services page.

At the moment, Compass to Connect is working to connect clients with SPOs located across all GTA regions.

You can use the website at any time from anywhere. However, the website will need your address and contact information within Canada in order to provide you with the most accurate results, and allow SPOs to contact you.

While there are many other websites that provide information on settlement services, these websites do not provide personalized search results to each user. They do not gather or use personal data to filter any searches and results provided are generic, often with a list of a wide variety of options.

Compass to Connect matches you with settlement services based on your specific personal needs in relation to service, language and location. The website also allows the service provider to initiate contact with the users, making the process easier for newcomers.

We need your personal information in order to match you with a SPO that meets your unique needs. Your contact information is needed to allow SPOs to contact you prior to your first appointment with them.

Your information may also be used for planning, statistical and follow-up purposes. Compass to Connect may share this statistical information with our funders for planning and evaluation purposes. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Yes, your information will be stored in a secure manner and only the SPO you select will be able to access it. For more information, please read our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

If you are unsatisfied with your match results, you can start a new search with different selections to generate a new result.

While we encourage organizations to respond to your request as soon as possible, each organization works on a different schedule so we cannot give a definite timeframe.

While we strive to include as many services as possible, some services may not be available yet as they may not be offered by the organizations in our current database. Compass to Connect is an ongoing project, and we are continuously working to grow our database and provide access to more services.

Additionally, as we are funded by IRCC, services not funded by IRCC will not be featured on our website.

The languages featured in Compass to Connect are languages spoken by staff at the organizations in our database. If your preferred language is not available, it means that the SPOs we currently work with do not have staff that are able who speak or understand that language.

Compass to Connect is currently only available in English. You can use the website with the help of a friend, family member or settlement worker who can speak English and translate the website for you.

If you forget your password, you can reset it by clicking "Forgot Password" on the sign in page.

Entering a country as a newcomer has its own pressures and can put many in uncomfortable situations, as they get used to their new environments. We understand the need newcomers have to receive accurate information and resources to help with their settlement. The Website provides a guide on what to expect and do during your first two weeks in Ontario, which includes an easy checklist for your reference.

CLB stands for Canadian Language Benchmark. This is the Canadian standard used to measure the English language ability of newcomers to Canada, or anyone planning to immigrate, live and work in Canada. CLBs are also measured for anyone applying for citizenship. To get your CLB assessed, you can visit a Language Assessment Centre.

NOC stands for National Occupation Classification. Canada has an official job classification system, and each occupation has their own NOC code to help tell the difference between jobs. Please click here to visit the official Canada NOC website for more information

Staff in these organizations will speak your preferred language. However, most programs are delivered in English or French.